Sunday, July 6, 2008

Holiday Weekend - July 6, 2008

Short update today. It's the last leg of a 3-day weekend and against all odds we managed to actually stay in Indianapolis this time.

Thursday night our childbirth education class was canceled so we went over to my new co-worker Shawn Liller's house for his 5th annual "Big Lill's July 4th Show". Shawn is apparently a pyro, and puts on a very respectable fireworks show for an amateur. There were at least 150 people in his backyard to watch him and his 5-man pyro team light it up. You can check out some of the photos and a description at their blog, here.

On Friday, Katie and I went to see Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. It was pretty good. I ranked it behind Raiders of the Lost Ark, tied for 2nd with The Last Crusade. For Katie it was also pretty much tied for 2nd, though her initial ranking was Crusade-Raiders-Temple. After that we picked up some food supplies and just relaxed the rest of the day.

My plan for Saturday was to barbecue some baby back ribs. We invited Amanda over to join us for dinner, and she arrived a little after 6, or 4 hours into my rib-cooking adventure. The ribs tasted excellent, but were a little dried out and not as tender as I would like. I think the next time I do it I'll adjust some of cooking methods, especially if we use the (relatively) lean baby back ribs again. Here's a picture of the succulent meat resting on the grill.


Not sure what's on tap for today yet. Maybe some exciting lawn mowing... hopefully some more R&R!

No comments: