Saturday, October 31, 2009

Trick or Treat - October 31, 2009

I'll get to the Halloween pictures in a minute, but first a quick recap of our long weekend / mini vacation last week. I took the 22nd and 23rd off, and we headed south to Kentucky to meet up with Mom & Kevin and Sara, Joe and Elizabeth for a long weekend at a house on Lake Cumberland. It turns out that late October is a really nice time to be in that area if you're just looking to relax because it's pretty well deserted and if you have the means to go out on the lake you basically have it to yourself. We were fortunate to have great weather for at least part of the first two days, and several of us took advantage of it with kayaking excursions on the lake.

Aside from kayaking we basically just hung out for the weekend. It was nice to spend some time with everyone and not have other places to go or obligations to fulfill. Unfortunately we didn't take a whole lot of pictures, but I do have a few to share. This was the view from our balcony and a shot of the indoor hot tub at the house we were renting.


Joe serving up Elizabeth, Mom with Clark, Chewie being incredibly furry, and Joe attempting to fit in with the locals (after his false tooth fell out).


We got back into town last Sunday with about 30 minutes to spare before the Steelers kicked off against the Vikings. Katie said something like "I didn't know we'd be back in time for the game, but I guess I don't plan around the Steelers game schedule." The implication that I do schedule around Steelers games was both obvious and true.

On Thursday afternoon Katie took Clark to the Indianapolis Zoo with our neighbor and her daughter. Every year the zoo has an event called "Zoo Boo" where kids come dressed up in their Halloween costumes and enjoy various Halloween themed activities. We secured a Donald Duck costume that Clark's cousin Josie wore a couple years ago and they headed downtown to check it out. I'm glad they went Thursday instead of waiting for me to try to go Friday, because the weather would have ruined that.


I started playing in an intramural basketball league on Thursday. I wasn't awful, though I can definitely improve. It's fun to play, and I'm glad I signed up. I took Friday off because it was Katie's birthday and I have some vacation to burn. We didn't really do much aside from play with Clark and play the games I got her for her birthday. I did go to get an eye exam for the first time since I was in kindergarten, and was diagnosed with astigmatism in my left eye, so I might get a pair of glasses to wear while I'm working. That'll be different.

Today was pretty laid back as well, but the designated trick-or-treat time was 6-8pm, so we dressed Clark up in his Donald Duck costume again and strapped poor Chewie into the lobster costume that Katie got for him in a post-Halloween sale last year.


I never said Chewie was happy about his costume.


And a nice shot of all of us on a beautiful autumn evening.


Tonight we switch back to Eastern Standard Time. We kept Clark up an extra hour in a vain attempt to fool him into sleeping an extra hour tomorrow morning to account for the time change. I'm not optimistic that it will work.

No comments: