It feels like a long time since I last posted on this blog, but fortunately Katie has been picking up the slack. It's my turn tonight, however, to share some pictures and a video of what's been going on with Clark lately, and perhaps even a short text description of what Katie and I have been up to, since we seem not to take pictures or video of ourselves anymore.
The last week or so we've seen a marked improvement in Clark's physical strength and ability to pull himself up and climb on and over things. I think the timing of this skill is pretty well on par with the average age that kids do these things, so there's nothing inherently interesting about it to the casual observer, but for Katie and I who have seen him every day of his life and can still vaguely remember when he wasn't able to support the weight of his own head it does seem pretty amazing to watch him move around these days.
Being a constant force of destruction. Here playing the diaper version of the game "Take Everything Out Of Its Container". Flex those cheeks.
Pulling up to look out the window.
For the moment he is remaining stationary when pulling up on things, but I really think that cruising is only a matter of days away. He's tried to take a couple uneasy steps already, but quickly abandoned that.
Clark reached new heights crawling and climbing today, literally and figuratively. Shortly after I got home from work he was crawling around in the foyer with Katie casually watching him, and she did a double-take to find him perched on the second step. Sure enough, he had figured out how to climb up stairs and seemed determined to tackle the entire flight all at once.
So now we have one more restricted area in the house, and will probably have to come up with some creative ways to keep the stairs blocked off. Unfortunately the only place for a gate is 3 steps up on the landing, which leaves 3 stairs too many available for climbing!
Lastly, Clark seems to have made a stride in object recognition and language development, reliably babbling "na-na" (as opposed to his traditional "dah" for everything) when presented with a banana and asked to say the word. He has also responded appropriately lately to promptings of "touch your nose" and "touch your eyes", which was both exciting and startling for after so long without any kind of response.
There hasn't been a whole lot that's new and interesting with Katie and me recently. Since returning from Atlanta I think we've been home for 3 weekends in a row, which could very well be our longest stretch this year. It's been nice and relaxing to stay home and hang out, and we've taken the opportunity to get to know a couple of our neighbors a bit better, hosting a little cookout last Friday evening and playing cards later on with one of the couples. It's taken 3 years to actually schedule something, but I suppose it's better late than never! Katie and Clark spent some time at the other neighbors' house this afternoon as well, so hopefully they will be able to help each other pass the time during the long days home with kids.
My time has been occupied lately by a quest to improve my level of physical fitness. I'm in the 12th week of a 13-week commitment I made to a nutrition and exercise plan, so I'll be posting the results of that some time during the week of the 17th.
That's what's going on in our world. We're enjoying the (mostly) beautiful summer weather while counting down the days to Clark's first birthday, the start of football season, and whatever comes next.
1 comment:
So cute!! I can't believe he's climbing stairs!
Post a Comment