Sunday, October 19, 2008

Big Boy - October 19, 2008

Clark was one month old on Friday! I can't believe how fast the days (and slow the nights) have gone! We had his one month check up on Friday with the pediatrician and Clark was a whopping 12lbs, 2oz and 24ins long. He was in the 95th percentile for weight and 97th for height! He had to get his second hepatitis vaccination, but he did fine and the doctor said that he was just wonderful. I can't believe how fast he is growing.

This week has been much better on the sleep front. Clark was doing really well, nursing every two hours and going right back to sleep. On Friday he had his best night so far. We put him down around 11 when we went to bed and I was up at 1:45 and again at 4:45 and then we got him up around 7:30 in the morning. We were hoping that would start being routine, but of course last night he was up about every hour from 1am on and didn't go back to sleep well at all. I did eat a few foods that may have bothered him on Saturday - a burrito from Chipotle and I had a milkshake right before bed. After a bit of research I found this on kellymom.com (a breastfeeding and parenting support website)
"A small percentage of breastfeeding mothers notice an obvious difference in their baby's behavior and/or health when they eat certain foods. Cow’s milk products are the most common problem foods and the only foods conclusively linked by research to fussiness/gassiness in babies, but some babies do react to other foods. If a breastfed baby is sensitive to a particular food, then he may be fussy after feedings, cry inconsolably for long periods, or sleep little and wake suddenly with obvious discomfort."
Since Clark was up so much last night, fussy after feedings, and seemed very gassy and uncomfortable, I think I will be skipping the milkshakes from now on!

Clark is getting really good at holding his head up these days, here is a picture:

From Aiello Visit



Clark has been a lot more alert and really follows Jason and I around with his eyes now. We have been singing him the itsy bitsy spider song with motions and he will watch our hands as the spider climbs up and the rain comes down etc. On Saturday Jason was sitting with him on his lap playing the "Sooo Big" game by raising Clark's arms above his head and talking to him and we think Clark gave him his first real smile! He smiled so much we were able to catch it on camera. Here are pics of the game and the smile.

From Aiello Visit
From Aiello Visit

Sara and Joe were here to visit this weekend and we had a really nice time hanging out with them, watching football and passing Clark around. They brought Clark his first Ohio State outfit.

From Aiello Visit


Aunt Sara, Uncle Joe and Clark:

From Aiello Visit

That's all for now. Jason and I are watching the Steelers now, and will soon be watching all of the rest of today's games via DirectTV's Sunday ticket. I better get back to football :)

No comments: